Tuesday, October 2, 2012

'Vocabulary' Revisited

Segunda Jornada Internacional de Arte de Accion de Pumarejo
Sevilla, Spain

I try to be a good intellectual artist, I really do.  I read my theory and criticism.  But despite, or perhaps because of, my best efforts, I find myself lost in a sea of jargon.


JIAAP, Sevailla 

It sometimes seems to me that instead of articulating key points about performance, the artistic vocabulary obfuscates.

So I visited the bookstore at the Museum of Contemporary Art of Barcelona, and started a list of words from the books in the section on criticism and theory:
singularities
rationalist
postmodern
contested
privileged
structuralism
representation....

JIAAP, Sevilla - M. Reyes

I wrote these words in large font across a scroll of paper several meters in length.
performativity
textuality
subjectivity
positivism
historicism
constitutive
discursivity
aestheticization
indoeuropean....

Within the performance space I read these words as though they were forming complete sentences that make sense.
philology
marginalized
semantic
deconstructionism
exegesis
manifest
ontologically
psychoanalytic......

I continue to read them until they are nothing but hypnotic syllables.

Then, borrowing a page from Yves Klein, art fights back.

M. Reyes

Open Hand Open Space Gallery, Roves and Roams productions, Reading, UK 
Lucy Ann Hobbs


I cover myself in blue paint of a hue approaching Klein International Blue, and I start to make body prints over the words.

JIAAP, Sevilla - M. Reyes


It becomes quite physical.  I bring the art back to the language with my body and the paint together.

JIAAP, Sevilla, - Domix Garrido- 
Roves and Roams, Reading, UK - Lucy Ann Hobbs

I complete the reclaiming of the language with cleansing fire.

Sevilla - M Reyes

Sevilla M. Reyes

Reading, UK - Lucy Ann Hobbs

Video de JIAAP, Sevilla January 2012

No comments: